Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tribute to Luis Tertocha

This post is long since due. About four months ago, I had the pleasure of interviewing an accomplished entertainment lawyer named Luis Tertocha. It is my regret to say that, since that interview, he has passed away. It is my firm belief that the lives of those around us are to be celebrated and honored. So, in his memory, I would like to share my report I wrote those many months ago:

Luis Tertocha
Retrieved From: http://www.miami.edu/frost/index.php/frost/frost_profiles/mbei-tertocha_louis/




I am 22 years old. Until this point in my life, I have always known what I wanted to do with my life and how I was going to get there. But now, I feel lost. Of course I want to perform. But I also want to live comfortably. I’m afraid of taking that huge giant leap into actor-hood, which involves thousands of auditions with the hope that someone will shove a contract in my face while I fall endlessly into oblivion with no real security of what the future will hold. Well, I don’t want to do that. So, I created a safety net.
            The Armored Peacock Performance Troupe is going to be a nonprofit organization what teaches terminally ill children and their caregivers how to express themselves in a healthy and creative environment. How can I be so sure this business will be a success? I decided to seek the advise of an expert Entertainment Lawyer named Luis Tertocha. I emailed him and sure enough, he agreed to a phone interview.
            Mr. Tertocha started practicing law in Michigan almost 33 years ago. For the longest time, he was a trial lawyer dealing with many different types of law. Growing up, however, he had always had a passion for the arts.  When I spoke with him, he reminisced fondly about the days when he would go to art museums with his parents. He stated, “My parent’s were really good about that. Making sure the arts were a part of my life.” He continue to state that 20 years ago, he decided it was time to merge his two passions, law and the arts, into one. He then opened his private practice in entertainment law. After 13 years of working (his) IN private practice, Mr. Tertocha decided to work part-time at the University of Miami as an adjunct professor in the music and law programs. This is where he works currently.
            After hearing briefly about his past endeavors, I explained to him my plan for the Armored Peacock. “Taking art to children is imperative. I think enough people don’t pay attention to those things, ” he said, after listening to my ideas. I then asked him if he felt there were any “red flags” that I should be wary of with my idea. He answered with an immediate “yes.” He went on to describe how the IRS is very strict about their nonprofit policies. “The benefit of a nonprofit is that you don’t have to pay income tax and the money donated to your organization’s goals is tax deductible for the donor. As a result, The IRS regulates it with a lot of scrutiny” he said.
            He recommended partnering with either a lawyer or an accountant who has a lot of experience working with nonprofit organizations. Specifically, he said to “make sure you bring on board people who know what they are doing…it’s a complicated process.” He also cautioned that one should know and understand the language of the IRS. He explained that if you don’t know what you’re doing, the process could become even more complicated than what it already is.
            He then went on to discuss the difficulties of raising money for such endeavors. “You need to have the juice, you really want to have something with which to go to people to show you’re professional and you know what you’re talking about.  People get solicited all the time.” He remarked, “Even when you obtain your nonprofit status, you need to be able to finance it.” He continued to emphasize the importance of understanding the business aspects of both the entertainment realm and that of the nonprofit.
            His final words of advice were about picking the right people to be on your board. He explained that you need both creative and business-minded individuals to come together in order to succeed. One of the most precious statements he made on this topic was that “…even though they may come to the table with different disciplines and different backgrounds, they have come together for one single mission. And that’s what’s important.”
I believe that being able to overcome differences and work towards a greater cause is a powerful thing. I think it’s something most often forgotten when egos begin to bounce off of each other. I can certainly see it coming into play once I start working with people who are incredibly knowledgeable in their specific areas of expertise.
            The phone interview ended as I thanked Mr. Tertocha for his time. Everything he said made me feel more secure about the decisions I’ve made and where I’m going from here. I am 22 years old. I don’t really know where I’m going to end up. But I think I know where I’m headed.

Luis Tertocha was passionate about the arts. Through his words, he encouraged. This post shall be ended with a favorite quote of mine that embodies how Luis Tertocha lived his life. 

"How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world." - William Shakespeare

Although we never met in person, he inspired me. Thank you, Luis, for all that you have done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment