Thursday, March 7, 2013

Whips and Anthony DeLongis


Ordinarily, this would be the time I would post about how epic a fight is and why. As I said in my very first post, looking at the work of the people who came before you is an excellent way to stand on their metaphorical shoulders. However, I also think it is equally as important to look at the people who inspire you and why that is.



That being said, I have decided to share a video of someone who is not only influential in the industry of stage combat, he is also influential to me personally. He is my teacher. He is my friend. He is Anthony DeLongis.


Anthony DeLongis is a Master Mixed Martial Artist. In 2008 he was inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame. Additionally, he is internationally recognized as an incredible Stunt/Combat Performer and Coordinator.  His credits include, but are not limited to, working with Harrison Ford on "Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull",  serving as the Bullwhip Trainer on the feature film "Batman Returns", and working with Jet Li on "Fearless".

While he is exceedingly influential in multiple areas, one of the places he inspires me most is in his mastery of the whip. Here he is, in a brief video, explaining some of the many uses of the whip.




As if his accomplishments weren't inspiring enough, there's more! Anthony is incredibly ground breaking when it comes to using the whip in a stage combat setting.This is not because he is "re-inventing" the whip and how it is used. Rather,  he is an innovator in his ability to take tactical knowledge of the whip and apply it to stage combat. Try to imagine, for a moment, that the whip is a house and it's uses in a stage combat setting are a room in the back of the house. Anthony is the one who opened the door to show what is inside.

The use of a whip in a stage combat setting isn't something that is done very often and when it is, it isn't done very well. A lot of the whip fights I have seen have been bland and uninspiring. However, Anthony's style and teachings are different. He is highly creative in his choreography and uses the whip in ways that wouldn't be thought of in a traditional sense.  This is what inspires me most about Anthony. He gives me the feeling that the sky is the limit when it comes to applying my whip cracking abilities to stage combat. He is able to take things I may already know and bring them into the spotlight. If it were not for Anthony's style and teaching, I feel as though my passion for whip in stage combat would not be the same.

Looking at Anthony, there is something else that is inspiring.  When he cracks the whip, you know he is in complete control. That whip is going exactly where he wants it to be. Furthermore, Anthony does it so effortlessly, it's as though the whip were just another arm or leg. The whip becomes an extension of Anthony's being. This is something that not every whip cracker can do.


Anthony DeLongis is one of my personal stage combatant icons because of his ability to transform his practical knowledge of real combat into a stage setting.  His methods are precision based and exceedingly incredible to watch. 

Thanks for Reading!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment